Gas is one of the most popular credit card rewards categories. That’s no surprise, as most Americans rely on gas-powered cars to get around and are always searching for ways to save money on gas. Many general-purpose cash back credit cards include gas or gas station purchases as a regular rotating category, while others feature permanent cash back on gas buys.
When deciding which card best fits your needs, pay special attention to any spending caps, brand restrictions, and time limits that could eat into your earning power. Read each card’s fine print to get the lowdown on any exclusions or restrictions. For instance, most general gas credit cards that offer cash back at “all U.S. gas stations” specifically exclude warehouse clubs like Sam’s Club and Costco, which sell discounted gas and have their own cash back rewards programs. And pay special attention to interest rates, which can sometimes be higher than those of non-rewards credit cards.
Caveats aside, these are the best gas and gas station credit cards available today.
Best Gas Credit Cards
1. Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express
3% Unlimited Cash Back at U.S. Gas Stations; 6% Cash Back at Supermarkets; 1% on Everything Else
The Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express has one of the best gas rewards programs around: 3% unlimited cash back on purchases at all U.S. gas stations, with no spending caps or other restrictions. You also earn 6% cash back on supermarket purchases up to $6,000 per year. Plus, you get 1% cash back on all non-gas and non-supermarket purchases, with no limits. However, there’s a $95 annual fee.
Other benefits include a nice welcome offer and generous intro APR period. You can redeem your cash back rewards as a statement credit, gift card, and general merchandise, starting at $25.
- Welcome Offer: Earn $150 cash (statement credit) when you spend at least $1,000 in the first 3 months of card membership.
- Key Fees: There’s a $95 annual fee. Cash advances and balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 3%. Foreign transactions run 2.7%, and late and returned payments both cost $37.
- Introductory APR: There is a 0% purchase and balance transfer APR for 12 months. After that, regular variable APR applies.
- Other Perks: Card membership has a host of fringe benefits, including access to cardholder-only entertainment events and return protection, which compensates you up to $300 per item for attempted returns rejected by merchants.
2. Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi
4% Cash Back on Gas Purchases
The Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi has a generous gas benefit: 4% cash back on the first $7,000 in gas purchases each year. This rate applies on gas purchased at all U.S. gas stations, not just Costco filling hubs. Above the $7,000 spending threshold, gas purchases earn unlimited 1% cash back. Eligible restaurant and travel purchases earn unlimited 3% cash back worldwide, and Costco purchases earn unlimited 2% cash back in-store and online. All other purchases earn unlimited 1% cash back.
If this card has a drawback, it’s the de facto $60 annual fee for regular cardholders. Like all warehouse stores, Costco charges an annual membership fee, and you won’t qualify for this card without agreeing to pay it. That said, Costco membership promises deep savings for frequent shoppers, so this is one credit card annual fee that pays for itself without much trouble. A foreign transaction fee waiver sweetens the pot further.
- Sign-up Bonus: This card has no sign-up bonus.
- Key Fees: There’s no annual fee with a paid-up Costco membership, which costs $60 for a standard (Gold Star) membership and $120 for a premium (Executive) membership, plus applicable sales tax (if any). There is no foreign transaction fee. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 3% of the transferred amount, and cash advances cost the greater of $10 or 5%.
- Introductory APR: There is no 0% APR introductory promotion.
- Other Perks: The trip cancellation and interruption protection benefit is an important travel insurance coverage that reimburses you if you need to cancel or cut short a covered trip on short notice due to a medical emergency or another covered reason. Other fringe benefits include complimentary rental car loss and damage coverage and extended warranties on select purchases with existing manufacturers’ warranties.
3. Chase Freedom
5% Cash Back on Gas Purchases During 1 Quarter per Year; Great Sign-up Bonus
Chase Freedom is a general-purpose cash back credit card that offers 5% cash back on purchases up to $1,500 in quarterly rotating categories. All other purchases earn 1% cash back, with no spending caps or earning limits. Notably, there’s no annual fee. You can redeem for checks, statement credits, direct deposits, and purchases through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards portal. There’s no redemption minimum.
While gas and gas stations aren’t always part of the 5% club, Chase Freedom has historically included at-the-pump gas or gas station purchases (covering all U.S. brands, in both cases) in at least 1 of its 4 annual 5% bonus rotating categories. In other words, you can expect your Chase Freedom card to pay 5% on gas purchases roughly 3 or more months out of the year. Plus, there’s a really nice sign-up bonus and a solid intro APR period. However, you need to manually activate your 5% cash back categories before the middle of their expiration month.
- Sign-up Bonus: Earn a $150 cash back bonus when you make at least $500 in qualifying purchases within 3 months of account opening, and an additional $25 when you make a single purchase within the same initial 3-month period.
- Key Fees: There’s no annual fee. The foreign transaction fee is a flat 3%. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 3% of the transferred amount, and cash advances cost the greater of $10 or 5%.
- Introductory APR: There is a 0% purchase and balance transfer APR for 15 months. After that, regular variable APR applies.
- Other Perks: The Chase Purchase Protection insurance product covers all purchases made with your Chase Freedom card for 120 days, up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
4. Chase Ink Business Cash Credit Card
2% Cash Back on Up to $25,000 in Gas Purchases; Up to 5% Cash Back on Other Spending Categories; Business Users Only
Chase Ink Business CashSM is a business credit card with a very generous gas reward: 2% cash back on combined gas station (in-store and at the pump) and restaurant purchases, up to $25,000 per year. You can redeem for statement credits, direct deposits, checks, and Ultimate Rewards purchases, starting at a $20 minimum.
Ink Business Cash’s rewards don’t stop there. The card also offers 5% cash back on office supply and communications purchases (cellular phone, landline, Internet, and cable TV services), up to $25,000 per year. All other purchases earn 1% cash back, with no spending caps or earning limits. Other perks include a nice sign-up bonus, no annual fee (which is somewhat unusual for a business card), and relatively low APR.
Remember that the Ink Business Cash is meant for business financing. If you don’t own your own business, you likely won’t qualify for this card.
- Sign-up Bonus: Earn $500 bonus cash back when you spend at least $3,000 in qualifying purchases within 3 months.
- Key Fees: There’s no annual fee. Foreign transactions cost 3%. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 5%, and cash advances the greater of $15 or 5%. Late payments range from $15 to $39, depending on balance size.
- Introductory APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months. After that, regular variable APR applies.
- Other Perks: Extended warranty protection extends warranties lasting less than three years for an additional year at no additional charge.
5. Discover it
5% Cash Back on Gas During One Quarter per Year (Up to $1,500 Spend); Double Cash Back in Year One
Discover it is a general-purpose rewards credit card that offers 5% cash back on purchases up to $1,500 in quarterly rotating categories. Gas station purchases (in-store and at the pump, all U.S. brands) reliably rotate into the 5% wheelhouse at least 1 quarter per year, and sometimes more.
Like Chase Freedom, there’s no annual fee. Like Discover it Chrome, there are no cash back redemption minimums, and you can redeem for direct deposits or statement credits.
All other purchases earn 1% cash back, with no spending limits, so Discover it is a great compromise between a pure gas rewards card and an everyday spending card. Plus, Discover doubles your cash back in the first year.
- Sign-up Bonus: There’s no sign-up bonus aside from the first-year double cash back benefit.
- Fees: There’s no annual fee or foreign transaction fee. Balance transfers cost 3%, and cash advances the greater of $10 or 5%. There’s no late fee for your first late payment, but it costs $35 per late payment thereafter.
- Introductory APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 14 months. After that, regular variable APR applies.
- Other Perks: The Freeze It feature turns off many account features, such as purchasing and cash advances, with one click. You’re also entitled to a free FICO credit score each month.
6. Discover it Chrome
2% Cash Back on Gas & Dining; Low Fees
Discover it Chrome pays 2% cash back on at-the-pump gas and dining purchases made in the U.S., up to a combined $1,000 per quarter. To get the most out of this card’s gas-buying power, use it sparingly at restaurants. During your first year of card membership, Discover automatically doubles all the cash back you earn – a strong incentive to maximize your rewards from the get-go. There are no redemption minimums – you can redeem any time, in any amount, for statement credits and direct deposits.
You also get 1% unlimited cash back everywhere else, so Discover it Chrome is a nice everyday card as well. Low fees, including no annual fee, and a relatively low purchase APR help too. If you drive a lot and spend more than $1,000 in gas per quarter, consider upgrading to another gas credit card……Read more>>